View from The UpTake office. Which has no bearing on your internship, but it’s pretty, yes?
Read these descriptions, then fill out our intern application.
We’re looking for fall, winter and spring interns who can commit to 10-40 hours a week. We run a relaxed and fun working environment, but we’re looking for dedicated, cool-headed, hard-working and dependable people who are passionate about news, politics and technology.
Office is in downtown St. Paul, but lots of opportunities to work from home (must be very, very disciplined for that portion – trust us). Unpaid, but valuable new media experience (yaddayadda). Will work with your school for credit, if you want it.
We have internships in the following positions…
1. Video reporting. You’ll be one of our star citizen journalists. You’ll be assigned a beat, and expected to grab footage or stories from the beat for the week, as well as helping cover breaking news as it occurs. We provide the equipment and the training. Must be comfortable with technology. Camerawork knowledge helpful, but not necessary. Hours: varies.
2. Editing. Know your way around video editing software? Always wanted to learn? Help us edit our video footage using a variety of editing software. We have a computer and software to edit on. Must be comfortable with technology, but can train you to edit if you’re interested. This can also be combined with the video reporting internship. Hours: 10-20.
3. Livestreaming. Help us bring local and national events live to our audiences. Stop/start livestreams using Livestream software from your (or our) computer. Monitor local and national events using Livestream software. Opportunity to go on-site to local events with a journalist and livestream form there. Post play-by-plays to our Twitter account. Must be comfortable with technology, social media, have a good attention span and excellent writing skills. We provide equipment. This can also be combined with the video reporting internship. Hours: 10-20, but must be available daily, Monday-Friday.
4. Volunteer coordinator/communications. Want to see what happens behind the scenes at a citizen-powered new media organization? Help our volunteer coordinator recruit, contact and assign citizen journalists to stories and other tasks. Help write weekly blog posts and e-mail communications to our UpTake userbase (3000+). Monitor our social media networks. Can work from home, and or come into the office where a computer will be provided for you. Must have great self-discipline, writing skills and be internet-savvy. Hours: 10-20 a week.
5. Production/radio. Work directly with our Executive Producer helping him making editorial decisions. Help him plan and book guests for his radio show on AM950. Scour news and press releases for story ideas, or plan themed days for the radio show. Must be comfortable calling people and have a sharp eye for news. Hours: 10-20 a week.
6. Fundraising/accounts intern: Work directly with our Executive Director, helping him brainstorm and execute fundraising ideas. Help proofread and contribute to grant applications. Other tasks as needed. Hours: 10-40 hours a week.