Cameras in the courtroom are commonplace in many states, but not so in Minnesota. The Minnesota Supreme Court is allowing cameras in civil cases for a test that runs through June 30, 2013. The Minnesota Coalition on Government Information hosts a panel examining the experiment at its halfway point.
Minnesota news organizations hope the civil courts test will show that recording equipment does not disrupt court proceedings and can enhance the public’s understanding of what goes on inside its courts. They also hope the experiment will open the door to modern coverage of criminal court proceedings in Minnesota.
- Seventh District Assistant Chief Judge John H. Scherer of Stearns County
- Ramsey County District Judge Margaret Marrinan
- Emily Gurnon, courts reporter for the St. Paul Pioneer Press
- Joan Gilbertson, producer for WCCO-TV
- David Unze, reporter for the St. Cloud Times
- Moderator: John P. Borger, MnCOGI board member and partner at Faegre Baker Daniels