Tweet and Facebook that it’s cancelled, or go to jail. That’s part of a temporary restraining order the Mall of America wants a judge to sign against organizers of a Black Lives Matter rally scheduled for Wednesday at the Mall.
Black Lives Matter says a draft of the temporary restraining was sent to homes of “four alleged leaders” of the event. The document shows the Mall wants to restrict Black Lives Matter from holding a demonstration at the MOA or encouraging others to do so.
“Defendants and their agents are ordered to delete and take down any online materials, including Facebook, messages on Twitter, and online messages in any other form, that solicit or encourage others to engage in any demonstration on MOA Premises on December 23, 2015 or that provide information about the planned demonstration on MOA Premises on December 23, 2015,” says the document.
If the temporary restraining order is approved by a Hennepin County Judge, Black Lives Matter would be required to tweet and post on Facebook that the rally has been cancelled or organizers would face jail time.
A press release from Black Lives Matter calls the Mall’s action an “outrageous and totalitarian step of attempting to control the speech of individuals.”
Black Lives Matter says it will hold the rally at the nation’s largest shopping mall on one of the busiest shopping days of the year unless its demands are met. The group wants investigators in the police shooting death of Jamar Clark to release video related to the shooting, prosecute the police officers involved in the shooting without a grand jury and bring federal charges against white supremacists who shot five protesters.
A similarly timed protest last year at the MOA drew nearly 3,000 Black Lives Matter supporters. The Mall of America and Bloomington police responded by sending in officers in riot gear, shutting down the mall for several hours.
Read the proposed restraining order